<VV> (VV) Flat Sixes on the Prairie PCCA (kinda long and rambling like this title) EVEN MORE

Joe Robbins robbins@monticello.net
Sun, 2 May 2004 21:31:40 -0500

Yes folks, the PCCA event was better than advertised. My day started at 9:00
giving me plenty of time to make the 80 mile trip to Springfield for the
11:00- 3:00 Car Display part of the event. Well at 2:30 when the Flat Bed
dropped my car in the lot..... Do I know how to make an entrance! I was the
recipient of a Tech Session on harmonic balancer replacement. I made it half
way and lost a belt, turns out I wasn't as prepared as I thought, I didn't
have the special wrench to get the idler loose. Being the paranoid type I
did have several PCCA members cell phone numbers so I called and told them
what had happened and I was going to limp back home. Not to worry, I talked
with Mike Hall and he and Bill Pierson took off from the host site and made
the 40 mile trip to rescue me and DaVair. They said "we'll follow you", OK
sounds good and away we go, for about 6 miles that is, the harmonic balancer
separated and I shut it down on the side of the road. I have Hagerty
insurance and their roadside assistance program. A bit like what I have
heard On Star is like, they stayed on the line and told me when the flat bed
would be there. The truck picked the car up and we made it to the show, what
a way to make the show.  Tim Mahler had a new part and the puller so by the
time I got there the plan was set. I didn't even know they were going to do
it until I got there and they went at it like it was cold and raining or
something, oh that's right it was.  The part would be changed in the lot at
the hotel. Bill and Tim set out and in less than an hour in the cold wet IL
weather, DaVair was under his own power again. I can't say thank you enough
to all the great folks at PCCA, they are like a big family and they'd do
anything to help a person in need. It was a weird day to say the least, and
I even shared the hard luck award with an UV that had problems as well. If
you are close to Central IL. don't miss this event next year. I hope that
I'm not the rolling tech session though.

Thanks again to everyone that was there helping me in hour of need.

Joe Robbins