<VV> 140 vs 180

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:02:19 EDT

Here are my five cents worth:
140:
+ Low end power (with a stock cam)
+ Simpler carb repairs
+ More opportunity for "tinker-time" (work, but it's fun, a +/-)
- Carb linkage, especially secondaries and linkage-wear issues
- Hose and spark-plug wire routing is critical
- The valve seat's black cloud hovers overhead...

180:
+ Simple underhood maintenance (less tinker time, a +/-)
+ Exhaust sound (Ooh so throaty)
+ Boost feel (I have always lived in hilly areas, not Florida like Joe)
+ Exotic underhood appearance
+ Ability to respond "Yes" to the question
- Exhaust / Intake leaks
- Ignition system maintenance (though wires are better these days)
- Hot restart (rich)
- Power not always available

I own four cars, all of them with 140 engines.  The allure of four carbs,
dual exhaust, and those "oh so big" valves just tips the scales for me.  Of the
four 140s I have, two are EFI with the 304 cam, one is a totally stock '65 with
3.55 gears and the original 891 cam, and one is a PG140 with the retarded 889
95 hp cam mated to an early 4 speed/3.08 final.

The stock 65/3.55 140 is totally pleasing and tractable.  The only negative
is hwy rpm.
The high-torque 140 (retarded 95hp cam) and the whack-o transaxle is the best
of all. It is just as easy to drive as the stock 140/3.55, has incredible
response to the secondaries, and low highway rpm makes cruising at 70 to 80+ mph
effortless.
My Fiero EFI car is currently overcammed for its gearing and that's
not-so-fun. (recamming is next winter's project)
The Binion EFI 140/3.55 car runs like a champ but, like my '65, suffers from
highway rpm cacaphony.

I think you would enjoy having a turbo, Joe.  No more fuel leaks, no more
synchronizing, and it's much easier to clean and detail the turbo engine.  In
Florida, hot restart may be a big issue, though there are probably cures
available.  Florida's terrain isn't the best for turbos either, but it will still be
fun.  And, best of all, you will be able to answer the inevitable question with
a... "YES"!