<VV> Re: pinging 110

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:04:17 +0000

> From: Larry Forman
> Subject: Re: ignition timing problem on a 110
>
> At 02:40 PM 7/17/2004 -0400, Marc Sheridan wrote:
> >Recently, I WAS having a problem with pinging. The car is a '66 110/4 and it was very hard to start from a stop without pinging. It was like starting in second gear. Plus, it would also ping when slightly bogged while going up hill or being in too high a gear.
> >
> >Now it runs fun, no pinging and easier to get moving from a stop. What perplexes me is the way I fixed it. I simply disconnected the vacuum
> >advance. The car has an almost new Dale distributor, Pertronix II and the timing is set at 14 degrees BTDC. So, is this a proper fix or am I masking the real problem? Thanks for your comments.
> >
> >Marc Sheridan
> >'66 Monza 110/4
>
> From: "Bob Earls"
> To: "Virutal Vairs"
> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:31:28 -0700
> Subject: re: 110 ignition timing
>
> You didn't mention what grade of gas you're running.

..
Good point - Clark's (tech page 17) cryptically mentions that "all 98 HP and higher require highest octane." That reminded me that My mom's few year old '67 110 automatic seemed to need Sunoco 260 (probably outrageously priced at over $0.30 / gallon) with anything approaching stock initial timing.  I never confirmed the vac advance curve, or  had the heads off to check for carbon build up or blocked cooling fins. I remember similar stories from 110 owners made me wonder about a description of the difference between 95/110 low comp and hi-comp heads being a cast hunk of metal protruding into the chamber.  I imagined it as a clumsy cooling fin, in reverse, potentially sucking heat into the head. A hot head raises the octane requirement a lot.