<VV> Cost Differences (long)

AeroNed@aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:13:44 EST

Group,

One of the most contested discussions here is the one between the differences
between the Early and Late models. I completely rebuilt my own '66 Corsa.
Over the last couple of months, I've been working on the MAUM and other Early
model Corvairs at Terry Kalp's shop. As an engineer I have made several
observations on the differences between the two designs that I'd like to share. I'm not
going to discuss the generally obvious things like styling. After all, I'm
not qualified to comment on styling, I'm an engineer <G>.

I want to address the things I noticed that GM changed to lower the cost to
make the Late models. The removal of the 'B' pillar, moving the engine intake
lovers off of the engine lid and on to the rear panel below the rear window
simplified these parts. If you compare all the sheetmetal stampings, the earlies
are more complex than the lates. Complex is expensive.

The heating system hoses on an Early are quite elaborate, dual systems. Two
outlets in the rear, two outlets in the front, two defroster doors all add up
to lots of parts. The lates have a single plastic duct in the center tunnel
which feeds a single rear outlet, with a plastic door, and a single defroster
valve. All of these things have a lower part count which means lower cost.
Additionally, the assembly of these systems became much simpler in the Late model.
The materials, metal and rubberized hose in the earlies, plastic in the lates,
also means lower costs.

Moving into the interior, one of the first things you'll notice is the
dashboard shape. The earlies have more metal and more curves which is more
expensive. The floors under the seats is another area to see some cost cutting. The
lates have a simple single floor with the seat bolt going through to the bottom
of the car. The earlies have a nice flat bottom, the seat bolts to caged nuts
inside the car. This design has more parts, is harder to make and therefore
more costly.

All of this makes me wonder why the General decided to cut costs on the
suspension and drivetrain? I'm still going to keep my '66, my opinion is that the
improvements in the suspension and drivetrain outweigh the other items.
Besides, cruising in a real hardtop is as cool as it gets! I might get an early
convertible though...

I'm sure I've left out many examples of the cost differences between EM and
LM, what are some that you've noticed?

Ned Madsen
1966 Corvair Corsa 140
CORSA Member since 2000
Mid Continent Corvair Association - President