<VV> Re: '63 door handle removal

chris czepyha thegeek2@juno.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:58:07 -0400

I will ooh and ahh from afar.
I did not know if it was one of those items that is easy to take apart,
but takes forever to re-install.
It would really not be good if I got it off and found out it was a holy
grail piece missing to put it back on.

My first paint job I removed everything.  The second I painted over the
handles, like the body color look.  Ultimatly it is the wifes car so she
can decide.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:48:18 -0400 Robert Marlow
<nortechcorp@optonline.net> writes:
> At 09:10 AM 4/21/04 -0400, chris czepyha wrote:
>
> > We are prepping my wifes 63 to be painted... I am trying to
> decide
> weather to remove the door handles, or as carefully as I can tape
> around
> them, and the lock. <
>
> Personally, I dislike painting around things, and I dislike the
> masking
> lines that are always detectable on cars done this way.  So I'd
> recommend
> their removal.  It is not difficult; the hardest part is not
> screwing up
> the inner door panel while removing it to get to the inside of the
> door.
> But it is a good opportunity to clean and rustproof the inside of
> the door.
>
> I am currently in the midst of painting my third Corvair, and it is
> the
> third Corvair from which I have removed everything prior to
> painting.  For
> the third time I am not looking forward to the re-assembly process,
> because
> once the paint is on the car I will wish that I was done.  But I
> know that
> I once it is all back together I will be VERY glad that I did it
> this way.
> (This is the car that I intend to take to Lexington.  If you see me
> and my
> Mist Blue '66 coupe, please ooh and ahh so that I will feel the
> effort and
> expense was worth it.)
>
> --Bob
>
> Robert W. Marlow