[V8Vairs] Cooling

paul beck pbeck001 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 21:14:00 EDT 2012

I took a page from Rick Norris's V8 build. He indicated that with an air dam/ spoiler in the front a low pressure area is generated under the car. With that thought, I closed the openings in my inner fenders (done by a po). I have openings below the front bumper and also cut and formed a grille in the front cove panel. My radiator sits on a slant and is completely shrouded over on the top. I've got a 16" puller fan but not shrouded. I've cut all the origional flooring out of the "trunk" back to the flat section. As I mentioned before, my piping runs down across the front crossmember and then into the tunnel. I did have to make some of the pipes a little oval shaped in order to keep them up in the tunnel area. Tripple heat insulation above (floorboard) and below. Pipes then route up to an electric water pump (reduces drive belts). The cooling fan is controled by a 180 degree switch in the cylinder head, feeds a relay to turn it on. As I commented before,
 even on a 100+ weekend cruise, my engine temps stayed between 180 and 200. Normal day, 80/90, it seldom gets above 170.
I agree that it's very critical to get all the air out of the system. I use a combination of jacking up the rear and then the front and power up the electric pump. Never fails to get the system full. I'm running a Summit branded pump, made by CVR I think, and it pumps 27 gallons a minute, but the Dedenbear setup was interesting.
Now if I can just get my powerglide issues resolved I'll be happy.
Transmission is a TCI build with a remachined output shaft. Manual valvebody with a transbrake. It has a reverse lockout which requires the transbrake to be engaged before it will engage reverse. I can feel the trans. shift into low gear, but it will not pull the car. Drive and reverse work correctly. I've adjusted the low band, pulled the servo and checked it and dropped the valve body and checked/cleaned it. Nothing changed.
Any ideas ?

Paul Beck
1965 Monza Crown Conversion
Corsa