[V8Vairs] What the heck is it... (MID adapter)

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 1 23:06:16 EDT 2007

I have exactly that adapter and bellhousing in my car. I originally bought
it in 1971 with the special 25 1/2 inch long shaft. I purchased it from a
small operation which marketed it under the name "M.I.D.". I found the
receipt about a year ago and the price was $125. I seem to remember that the
guy was in Michigan.  The original idea was to make one bellhousing and then
various adapter rings to mate that to various engines. I have the one for
SBC and I remember there being another available for BOP (Buick, Olds,
Pontiac). Mine was orginally was designed to use the pre-'62 Chevy starter
which mounted to the bellhousing rather than the block. I cut the ring to
allow use of a hi torque block mounted starter made for a reversed boat
engine.
I first used my kit for a rear V8 SBC in a '65 Monza. Presently it is being
used in my '66 500 to mate a 4.3 V6 to a '66 3 spd in the rear.
I've seen a later MID one piece bellhousing that did not require the use of
the adapter ring. The picture was in the Clark's catalog in 2001 I think.
Ed