[V8Vairs] Rear Disk Brakes

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 01:08:01 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/12/2006 9:55:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jim.acker at comcast.net writes:

This is  a great example of the benefits of this list, as I am working on
this exact  issue on my project.  George, I would appreciate the opportunity
to  share information as you do the disc brake conversion.   Thanks!
V8Vairs mailing  list
This info is from the Master Power Brakes Web site. Several folks I know
have had real issues with trying to get these to work properly. They can be
tough to bleed - often impossible to bleed on the car - Remove and hold "just  so"
to bleed. I have a set on my 65. They can be painful! -Seth  Emerson

NOTE:If you are using Cadillac ElDorado rear calipers there are  some
important things you should know. One of the biggest advantages of a  disc brake
system is the fool proof self adjuster. Not so with this rear  GM system. The rear
calipers adjust off the parking brake. The parking  brake is incorporated
into the caliper. You must set the parking brake  every time you park the car.The
rear caliper pitons utilize a one way  clutch inside the caliper piston. When
the parking brake is applied the  clutch senses when there is .030" or more
clearence between the friction  material and the rotor on the inboard side.
When there is more than .030"  the clutch turns inside the piston adjusting it
out keeping the rear  brakes adjusted. If you do not set your parking brake
every time you will  start to lose brake pedal (low and spongy) and the adjuster
mechanism will  not work any longer.