[V8Vairs] re:options

tom zimmermann v8vairs@corvair.org
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:15:19 -0800 (PST)

..ok,i'll explain a little-- I am swapping the ' 66 corsa to my son,taking his '65 monza to work on (the corsa could be worth more than a rusty,dime-a-duzzen monza,and it's deja-vu to my first 'love',dark met. green/110-4)..i've got the mid frame,3-core truck rad,4 vega 4-sp'ds,and a lingering memory from 1971 of the crown catalog..was working for $2.70/hr then,so it never happened..i've built 6 2.8's,3 2.5's,2 350's and a '94 vortech 4.3 in the past 6 years,every one ran nice (also done mopar 2.2-2.5,sohc 3.0,and taurus v6)..my downfall is, if there's a lot of fabricating i'll never finish it,but don't want to just spend money on a kit and bolt everything together-it wouldn't be "mine"..i could 'grow' the 2.8 into a 3.1 or Z34,i like many features of the front-drive GM motors,and for the street the mpfi would perform well..i'm lacking the clutch/bellhsg for a 4.3,just missed the local ad for an 87 f-s 4.3 w/3sp...plan to weld the frame to the rockers,sleeve-and-bolt the 'legs' to it
 with the powertrain,installed like the 'Vair is from underneath/rear,adding upper links , 4-disc brakes and rack steering..if i can get the Winters centersection modified at the pinion nose,i'll run the trans thru the gearcover,like Arch's s-y-z,only flipped around,just don't have the funds for that now..got to get the blazer together &out,then it's disassemble time !!Tom