[V8Vairs] Front Suspension Settings...

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:16:30 -0700

I would have liked to get the crank center on the car's centerline, but
space didn't permit.  One of the constraints was how much maximum offset I
was able to get in the rear end.  In the Eldorado, the engine crank is
offset 2" to the passenger side to make room for the differential housing.
 I wound up with the same 2" offset although now to the drivers side. When
I picked up the finished engine and trans the balance point seemed to be
about 2" offset towards the transmission side, so using Cadillac's offset
seems to work to not only optimize space but to get the center of mass
close to the car's centerline as well.

"Chris Wills"
Sent by: v8vairs-admin@corvair.org
12/29/2004 02:45 PM
Please respond to
v8vairs@corvair.org

v8vairs@corvair.org
cc

Subject
Re: [V8Vairs] Front Suspension Settings...

Doug,

Looking good!  One question for you - is the engine offset, or is the
crank
on the car centerline?

Chris Wills

>From: DEvans@csu.org
>To: v8vairs@corvair.org
>Subject: Re: [V8Vairs] Front Suspension Settings...
>Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:03:14 -0700
>
>A friend of mine has photos of my project on his website.  Google
>'slownrusty' which will lead you to his Picturetrail address.  I'm under
>the Friend's Rides section.  The car is looking a bit different since the
>posted photos were shot.  Have made some progress on exterior body work.
>If you want, direct links are as follows:
>

>The Cad has been massaged heavily, and should produce about 500 HP.  I
>expect it to be brutal, but haven't been able to run it yet.  Shouldn't
be
>too long.  The engine sits in the car backwards, (serpentine belt to the
>rear) and the transmission is a modified Eldorado THM-425.  I removed the
>differential for the front drive, and installed a tailshaft adapter.  I'm
>using a custom built solid rear end which uses a Ford 8.8 inch diff which
>was originally intended for high-performance Jeep front axle
applications.
>  By remounting the diff in the normal position, I wind up with a reverse
>rotation live rear good for up to 700 HP and with the torque applied on
>the drive side of the gear teeth.  The rear wheel well were widened to
>accommodate 12" of rubber.  I suspect that I'll need it.  Amazingly, the
>500/425 drivetrain is only 48" from the front of the transmission chain
>case to the axle centerline.  The offset pinion is actually under the
>alternator as installed.
>
>I divided the interior of the car into front and rear halves by
>constructing a tubular steel bulkhead between me and the engine.  This is
>plated with steel sheet, and is now the firewall.  Since this structural
>bulkhead supports the transmission, and is welded across the car body, is
>provides a tremendous increase in stiffness.  A tubular, trussed
>structural console ties the bulkhead all the way up to the front axle.
The