[FC] bottom shrouds and damper doors

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun Jan 1 18:21:13 EST 2012

It all depends on what engine and what distributor.  I run a 166 cuin.
140 engine with a Ray Sedman AP 272 cam and his high squish, fast burn
heads with headers in my 61 Rampside.  The distributor is a modified 140
manual with 34 degrees total advance @ 2,500.  I leave lower shrouds and
air doors with thermostats on year around.  Even at 70 mph on a 105
degree F day the cylinder head never gets above 350 F (Spider dash with
cylinder head gauge calibrated at 350 degrees).  Yes it has A/C, a
gasoline heater and a Safeguard.  The engine needs 91 octane or better
gasoline when the temps are above 85 degrees.  If below 85 degrees, 87
octane will work fine.   It take a gear drive starter to turn the engine
over as the compression ratio is 10.5:1.  The cold cranking cylinder
pressure is 175 psi.   I have about 110,000 miles on the 11 year old engine.
Jim Davis