[FC] BB gas heater tested

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 14:46:54 EDT 2010

>... finally tested it (on the bench). It worked real fine !!, at least for me, as it was my very first encounter with a working gas heater.

Congrats on getting an almost complete FC gas heater together and working!

>Next step will be making the exhaust pipe ( any idea on it's length ? )

 .. or diameter? -- stock FC gh exhausts are rather different than the
car exhausts -- you need a diagram or picture or one in real life,
installed, to take a look at -- also the diameter of the pipe is not
something you'd commonly find in a shop that typically does exhaust
systems.  If Clark's (or anyone else) has one, it would be the way to go
-- has a couple 45º type bends about two feet apart, ending near the
front cross member.  Sorry, no pics here.

Would certainly be interested in seeing those scanned instructions, when
you get around to it, Tim ...   :-)

As for the heater pressure regulator, since it is basically just a
relief valve, it is designed to insure the correct pressure to the
heater when supplied with the correct pressure from the engine.  Over
fueling a gas heater tends to lead to more excitement than is desirable
and 5.5 psi is too much ("to get the 5.5 psi the book says")  -- you
must have a different "book" than I do -- pg 12-11 in the 61 Shop Manual
says "4 to 5 lbs." for the heater.  Personally, I think under five psi
(3-5) is a fine place to be at the carbs "with" the return line of a gas
heater or stock like turbo. All that is really needed is adequate volume
at the carbs, mo.  But, since the gas heater "is" fuel injected, it
needs appropriate design pressure to give the correct spray pattern.

The coils are special for the gas heater (as compared to the engine) --
note the absence of  any resistor or resistance  wire -- anyone "know"
specific details?

Bill Strickland