[FC] Alternator

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:00:16 EST 2010

Yes, what Ken said.  I think many people confuse "one wire" and internally regulated (3 wire).  The ones I always use have one main (big) power wire and a small 2 wire plug (usually red and a white wire)  The white runs (grounds? - I forget) the idiot light, the red monitors battery voltage for the regulator.  This can be looped right to the large power lug on the alternator or the + post.  But some say ideally it is better to get a signal farther away from the alternator that accounts some voltage drop thru the system.  I assume this is the concept or else it could have been connected internally.  In theory this will get you the desired voltage to all the system - by upping battery charging voltage a bit (no voltage drop in the short run of heavy wire from alt to batt).  May not be enough to matter - depending on wire sizes, cleanliness of harness connections, wire lengths, global warming...lol.  Something to consider if you like bright headlights like I do.  Seems there are truly one-wire alternators that are self exciting but I am not sure how the idiot light works (nice to have functioning in Corvair since it is essentially your fan belt indicator...  Beats waiting for that buzzer that goes off at 575 degrees... if it still works - lol)

Also, ideally, a guy should fab up a support bracket like the original 65-69 twisted steel one that goes down to the head.  As I recall, internally regulated don't have a boss that lines up correctly to use factory alt. bracket.  Again, going from memory - maybe some do line up - depending on how you "clock" the case - might be a battle of aesthetics vs. function here.  But they go for years with no bracket as well...

So you do this and still have low voltage to the cabin and headlights?  Check the big power wire in the harness that goes from engine compartment to front of vehicle.  The connection is critical.  On a driver / beater I will take that wire out of both sides of the connector and hard wire together.  Easier to do on your terms on a sunny Saturday afternoon than on a pitch dark roadside at night - yes, I have tried both ways.  Heck may even be a good place to tie in the voltage-sensing wire... I would check several places with voltmeter to get a feel for the entire system.

Of course, YMMV