[FC] A question about engine missing and temp light

Bruce Gwyther vairman at q.com
Sat Nov 8 14:21:36 EST 2008

   I suppose it's possible hat it could cause overheating (loose plug wire)
but I'd check or replace the temp sensor. They do go bad.
   I drove my '65 Brier from Texas to Utah in late JUNE of 1999 with a burnt
valve on #5 cylinder. I was pulling a trailer that weighed over a ton
(trailer plus load) and the van was stacked clear to the ceiling with stuff
(BIG load!). It used LOTS of oil but never overheated at all. It didn't seem
to be running hot and I made sure the sensor and temp light were ok before
leaving. To my amazment it averaged 19.1 mpg for the 1500 hundred miles. I
cleaned & swapped plugs a couple of times in the first 3 or 4 hundred miles
but it was missing again within 40 to 50 miles. It had 20 lbs compression
(on #5) when I left and none when I got to Utah. I had absolutley no other
trouble all.  I'm still amazed at the ability & reliability of these
vehicles.
                           Bruce Gwyther