[FC] oil leak... the saga continues part 2

Merv Krull krupross at sunwave.net
Sat Jul 21 00:31:02 EDT 2007

Hi again.... so I split the tranny from the bell housing and voila! The split ring fell out as I pulled the input shaft out, which means it was doing nothing in particular. I did not see any marks inside the snout or on the shaft, so it didn't seem to cause any harm.

I pulled the seal out intact with a puller, then slipped it over the input shaft on the bench and, sure enough, it was clearly too large.

I had installed it based on the PO telling me that it was a 110.
You know what they say about making assumptions.... well?

I have now positively identified the engine as a 102 based on the flat flywheel, the longer release bearing, the smaller dia input shaft, the apparent absence of ribs on the crankcase where it joins the bellhousing, and now the head numbers.

This means I can continue with the solid pulley, although, refering back to making assumptions, I shall inspect it very thouroughly to determine if the rivets have loosened.

Another thing I noticed about the split ring retainer.... I understood that the inside diameter of the retainer is close to the diameter of the input shaft to help prevent the shaft from slapping around, vibrating, and wrecking the pilot bushing. This retainer is quite a bit larger than the shaft.

Could this have something to do with the woeful sound of a love sick hound noise when engaging or releasing the clutch?

I am pretty sure I did not replace the release bearing when I redid all the seals, based on the fact that the clutch worked just fine at the time. The release bearing still 'feels' fine, better than the one I took out of the 64 sedan.

I noticed a distinct wear pattern in the fingers of the clutch springs. Would this be a source of the sound?

I did replace the pilot bushing, but I noticed the input shaft seems to have a fair bit of play... again... a source of the noise?

Since the powertrain is out, I ordered the rubber body bushings for the crossmember and new motor and transmission mounts as well.

And now is a good time to install the new clutch and accelerator cables too!

Does anyone know if the engine seal retainer strips from a car fit a van? Has anyone fabricated their own?

toodles
Merv Krull
Salmon Arm, BC