[FC] front shocks for our LM convert

VairMech at aol.com VairMech at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 14:01:34 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/17/2005 12:59:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ronh at owt.com writes:

Buy only  from a Corvair vendor to assure that you get the right ones as it's
not  enough to merely get ones that fit.  Also, the cheapest are not always a

good buy.

    In my tech article I did some pretty extensive  looking at all the
available shocks.
    For the late cars the shocks that I suggest are the  correct extended and
compressed lengths. The bottom bolt for the front will  have to be changed
from a 1/2" to 7/16" and 3-4 washers added to the inside of  the A-Arm.
    For the late model if you don't mind non stock then  what I say in my
article will work and work well. It is what I use on my race  car.
    For the earlies the shocks are only a 1/4" to long,  not enough for
anyone to have any handling problems. And anyone can handle  filing the lower
mounting bolts closer together. That is the only modification  that you need to do
for the earlies and FC's.
    If you get Monroe then at least it isn't bottom of  the line and they
will control the car, better than most.
    Read the article, it is all spelled out there  also.
    Ken Hand