[FC] More blower fan difficulty....

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat May 1 00:41:01 2004

You might consider to start looking for a replacement fan.  They are not very
forgiving and they do damage very easily.  I would try placing a heat lamp
directly over the fan and hope that you can get it hot enough to expand a
little and possibly then you could get it off.  I think that any amount of
force on the fan itself will probably damage it and render it NG.  You might
also consider a heat gun.  I wouldn't go near it with a open flame.  Paul in
CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Merv and or Loretta
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org ; corvairs@cybrus.net
  Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 12:45 AM
  Subject: [FC] More blower fan difficulty....

  OK, to date, I have successfully rounded off one of the bolt heads holding
the
  blower fan assembly together. A bolt extractor didn't work, except to shave
  further 1/16" off the diameter of the bolt head.Then, I punched and drilled
  1/8" pilot hole into the bolt, followed by a 3/8 drill bit. I broke it. Then
  had to really put some grunt into pulling the remaining part of the broken
bit
  out of the hole. A perhaps gentler approach with my only other 3/8" bit
  succeeded. A couple of selective taps with a cold chisel and the last of
the
  head fell off. I tapped and smacked the pulley and it finally fell off.
  NOW the damn fan itself won't come off. It is like someone glued the thing
on
  to the hub.
  Because I have never worked with magnesium and especially 40 year old
  magnesium blower fans, I need to know just how tough these things are and
  exactly how hard I can bang on it to try to break it loose.

  Would you describe it as a :

  thump
  thwack
  smack
  sharp rap
  resounding bonk
  thorough beating
  smallish stick of dynamite
  large stick of dynamite

  Your input would be appreciated..... <S>

  Merv Krull
  Salmon Arm, BC