[FC] Exterior Trim

mopar@jbcs2.net corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Mar 15 11:59:04 2004

Headlight Bezels can be polished to like new condition. They will not
corrode too quickly unless constantly exposed to the elements. For a
garaged vehicle, polished trim which has had the anodizing removed will
last a few years between "clean up". Out my way there is a metal finishing
outfit which has saved irreplaceable trim for many people, just by
straightening and buffing.
Gary Swiatowy

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Dave Sanger dksanger@mail.pentelco.net
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:56:27 -0500
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Exterior Trim

Fellow "FCers":

You have been very helpful with my restoration on the 63 Rampside. Sure
would
appreciate your thoughts on these two exterior trim questions:

1. headlight bezels -- can oxidized bezels be polished and coated with a
clear
coat , or should they be reanodized?

2. rear grill -- to my surprise, it's a metal stamping, not aluminum. Is the
FC grill interchangeable with cars, so I could use an aluminum car grill?
They
seem to be more readily available (one is on eBay now).

I'm planning on a nice daily driver, so I am not looking for a 95 point
vehicle when finished.

Thanks

Dave Sanger
Member, CORSA and Detroit Area Corvair Club
Traverse City, Michigan