[FC] 'Extended Life' motor oils

Dale K. Dewald corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Mar 3 10:22:03 2004

At 21:19 03/02/04 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:

>Thanks for the info on spark plugs.  I have wondered about the 'best' for
>our Corvairs too.  Also what about the use of the 'extended life' oils for
>our older cars?  Such as the Valvoline etc.  Thanks in advance for the
>info.  Steve

Hello Steve,

My nonscientific experience:

I had tried to use synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in my wife's 65 Monza 110/4 but
the rear main seal, a pushod tube and oil pan gaskets began
leaking.  Valvoline Maxlife had just been introduced and was advertised to
stop leaking gaskets, so I tried it.  The seal conditioner in this oil must
have worked because the rear main and oil pan gaskets stopped leaking.  I
had to replace the pushrod tube O-ring because it had been damaged.   I
thought it was curious that the (not severely) damaged O-ring did not begin
to leak until I changed to synthetic.

I have since switched to Vavloline Maxlife in almost all of my Corvairs and
it has slowed or stopped several minor leaks.

Dale Dewald
Hancock (UP) MI
---