[FC] camper

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Jan 19 09:21:01 2004

Don't be too quick to assume the engine needs to be rebuilt.  I bought a
1963 Monza coupe, with only 19,000 miles on it, real cheap because the
engine had seized up from sitting.  It turns out one valve was stuck in the
guide.  A rap with a leather mallet on each rocker arm made sure all the
valves were moving and then the engine turned over fine.  Put some fresh gas
in it and it started right up and ran fine.  The car ended up my daughter's
first car in high school and after the body was destroyed by a guy who ran a
red light and T-boned it, the engine was transplanted into another car and
still runs fine.
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Douglas Dunlap
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 8:42 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] camper

Hi All
  I am new to corvanatics. I seem to be desiring a camper and have found
one with an  Pop up top. Very little rust but will need a complete
restore. It is out of SC. at this point in its life. The following is
the Info I have on it. If any one is willing to help figure out wether
I would want this one or find another please email me
ddunl2@syracusenet.net I also have some photos to send then. A guess by
me(humble opinion) is 3-4000 dollars to restore to near show/show.

Thanks in advance
Doug
CNYCC
The camper is an automatic. The body is very straight and solid and
the only
rust through is a small (about 1" hole) behind the right rear wheel..
The
Area below the front doors that is usually the first place to rust is
solid.
It has been outside to a long while and the paint is very thin and
there is
a lot of "surface" rust, especially at the body seams. I don't think
that is
serious because it will be taken care of in normal preparation for
painting.
All the glass is good and the doors operate well.

The "pop-top" is fiberglass with rubber where it seals to the roof. It
looks
like it goes up about 15" and there are 4 pieces of glass (maybe
plexiglass)
that fold up to seal off the area. There are also fabric pieces for
privacy.
There is a small table, a refridgerator, a sink and a stove. Also an 8
track
player. There is one seat and the area behind the seat (over the
engine) has
a shelf..

I haven't run the engine. It's supposed to be OK but hasn't run for a
while
so I assume it need to be rebuilt. It does have the oil cooler for the
transmission like all automatic Greenbriers. The tires are shot.

---