[FC] Windshield installation

Mon Jul 21 20:18:01 2003

In a message dated 7/21/03 2:54:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
brierpath@yahoo.com writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> My Rampside's paint work is nearing completion and it
> is time to start thinking about glass and
> weatherstripping. I have heard numerous horror stories
> about windshield installation and the difficulty in
> working with the available gaskets. Has this situation
> changed? I would like to use the chrome trim around
> the windshield, but will not if the gaskets available
> now won't allow it.
> I have a new weatherstrip purchased three or four
> years ago from out west that is a deluxe style. Should
> I try to use this or one of the "newer" repros from
> back east?
> Thanks for any advice,
> Bill

Hello Bill....

Just went through the hell you allude to.  I purchased a repro deluxe gasket
from other than the East coast vendor.  Took the gasket to a professional auto
glass shop.  The glass mechanic called me half way through the installation:
"The gasket is to big around (Circumerance-wise)."  The installer continues
to struggle with the installation while I call the vendor.  The vendor's
assistant tells me: "We have been having some trouble with that gasket; you have to
cut the gasket length to size."  I question why I would want to pay for a
one-piece gasket and then cut it.  (Of note....The replacement gasket GM sold,
after Vairs were out of production, was a one piece unit that was intended for a
larger Chevy truck...The instructions were to "cut to fit".  Makes me wonder
if some reproducers are modeling after the larger replacement gasket, unaware
that it is too big in circumference.)  The vendor rep offers no real help or
explanation.  By the time I call the glass installer back he has been able to
force the gasket/winshield assembly back in.  The installer say's it "might" not
leak.  Unfortunately, it does leak; it also looks to big for the opening.
After several attemps- both by the installer and me-to seal the gasket, and
after attempting to get the (first) vendor to make good on the poor-fitting gasket
(no help received), I purchased another repro gasket from another vendor: the
East coast vendor, and pay labor, again, to the glass installer.  This
gasket, from the second vendor-while not a perfect fit-looks much better and leaked
only a little....I was able to seal up using the sealant the second vendor
sells with a pump applicator that looks like a modified oiler.

I hope this information is helpful.....I wouldn't want anyone else to go
through the hassles (and double expense) I went through.

Mike Mauro
64 Greenbrier Deluxe (and other Vairs)