BSCC- Corvair Convention in today's Boston Globe

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at pobox.com
Sat Jan 28 23:50:43 EST 2012

Good catch Celia! Here's the text of the article.... some of the
same-old-same-old crap about the Corvair, but for what it's worth, here
it is:

     Once upon a time, all I had to do to see a Corvair was look out the
kitchen window. My sister owned two of them in succession in the 1960s.
Nowadays, you might see one at a local cruise night or car show, but how
about 200 of them?
     That's the number organizers expect for the Corvair Society of
America's (CORSA) 42nd anuual convention to be held at the Sturbridge
Host Hotel from July 25-28.
     Forty years ago, reliability wasn't what it is today. Some of those
early Corvairs had a penchant for having fan belts pop off pulleys. Then
as the brand rusted away with age, there was the occasional sight of a
Corvair blocking traffic because the engine literally had fallen through
its rusted mounts onto the highway.
     But the brand was innovative with its rear-engine design,
air-cooling, four-wheel independent suspension, unibody construction,
balanced braking, flat floor (no driveshaft tunnel or transmission
hump), light steering, and a low center of gravity. It also had neat
model names like Monza and Spyder.
     Chevrolet produced the Corvair from late 1959 until May 1969,
selling more than 1.8 million vehicles, including a van and light truck.
The Corvair's handling became the focus of the book Unsafe at Any Speed
by consumer crusader Ralph Nader (Okay, so nobody's perfect). CORSA was
established in 1970 "to satisfy the common needs of individuals
interested in the operation, preservation, restoration, and enjoyment of
the Corvair and its derivatives."
     Besides knowing how to take care of their special-interest autos,
car clubs such as CORSA also are populated by people with many talents
and interests. This these gatherings (for all marques) have become
centerpieces for annual vacations and can serve as a practical lesson in
event management for local companies.
     Auto-related highlights of the Corvair gathering include a
competitive autocross on Wednesday, July 25, followed by a road rally
through western Massachusetts on Thursday. On Friday, there's a judged
concours d'elegance and technical sessions. But Saturday will be the big
day for local car aficionados. That's the day for a giant Corvair-only
car show.

Karl