BSCC- Fw: Fwd: Corvair Questions!!

Dave, Cynde, & Elliot Silvia redporsche944 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 3 23:22:30 EDT 2011

OK, I’ll shall chime in.

Darrel:

1st your taillights:  At this point you have three choices:  buy new ones ($32 each), find used ones, fix yours.  Now, not knowing what is on them is a problem.  Chances are a solvent will also damage the plastic.  You might be able to use very light sandpaper (360-400 grit) to sand off the stuff on them and then use finer and finer grit sandpaper (till you get to around 600 grit) and then use plastic polish (available at auto parts stores) to polish them.  The downside will be that you will lose the lettering on the tail lights.

2nd your headlights: Get new ones or use a single edge razor blade to remove  the paint or whatever from them.

3rd the engine:  Two choices: find a running engine or overhaul one.  I suggest finding a running car with a bad body and purchasing it for the engine.  The advantage will be that you can run the engine and perhaps even drive it to determine how good it is before purchasing it.  If you go this route you can even offset your purchase price by selling parts off the car.  The 140’s do drop seats more often but 110’s are not immune to this problem – low mileage may not be a good indicator of engine quality – they are all old – and anything could happen -  but it will be a plus if you can drive the car to test the engine.  You may find a good running car cheap.  As far as overhauling and engine, Lionel is correct $2500 for a basic overhaul.  The cost is dependent upon what the engine needs, figure $2500 is a minimum cost.  Typically, it will cost $500 each to rebuild just the heads (deep seats, milled, new springs, new valves).  Quite honestly I do not know anyone that could overhaul a Corvair engine in a “couple of days”.   It will take two days just to get it apart and degreased.   If you choose to overhaul your engine and you bring it someplace to have it done, it would take a few weeks and that is provided that all necessary parts are available – sometimes certain parts are out of stock (I waited weeks for copper head gaskets, no Corvair parts source had them in stock).  If you can find a place within driving distance that will be a plus.  If you have to ship the engine somewhere there is added risk as you cannot monitor the quality of the work.  When I purchased my own car, I was told the engine had been overhauled by a shop that works on Corvairs – I have found incorrect hardware, cracked valve seats, and even a head stud that was inserted too far and was being hit by the rod stud – all sloppy work that I am still correcting to this day.

My two cents,

-Dave

: bsc-list-bounces at corvair.org [mailto:bsc-list-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Jon Keeter