BSCC- Wheels

Dave, Cynde & Elliot Silvia redporsche944 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 21:29:18 EDT 2010

Hi-

The problem is not necessarily the width but the backspacing.  Changing the
backspacing of the rim greatly affects the handling of the Corvair -
especially the front wheels.  I have 14x7 rims with a 4" backspacing all
around and they work ok. What I notice is the steering tends to "dart" when
I hit large bumps - that is - it pulls the wheel out of my hand slightly.  A
steering stabilizer would probably cure the problem.

If these are new cragar wheels: Cragar makes a 14x6 and 14x7 - I would go
14x6 all around or go 14x6 front wheels and 14x7 back wheels.  Years ago
Cragar made several different widths and offsets for 14" rims - I believe
14x5 all the way up to 14x10 AND you could get the same width wheels with
different backspacing but that was back in the 70's.  If you have old
Cragars measure the backspacing and compare it to the stock rims.

Hope this is useful info,

-Dave