BSCC- Valve Stem

Jim Bengiovanni jimb26 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 31 18:17:21 EDT 2008

Dear members,

Recent e-mails and discussions at Wednesday's monthly meeting have been focused on DOT manufacturer dating.  During last night meeting another topic was brought up regarding a recall on the tire valve stems.

The September issue of Consumer Reports which I just received today gives more information on these potential faulty stems.  It seems they were made between July 2006 and November 2006.  If you had any tires installed before July of 2005, it likely your valve stems are not part of the recall.  If you had any tires mounted after the above dates you could be in a gray area.  These tires could be on any vehicle, not just your Corvair.

I called the store where I just had new tires put on my wife's car and they assured me that the company, in this case, town Fair Tire would have contacted me regarding the recall.  I guess I have to trust them as the only way to check the date coding on the valve stem is to break down the tire and check the code on the portion of the stem that located inside the rim.

Not to scare anyone, but it's best to be aware of the problem and head it off before anything occurs.

Best to all and see those who are going to VolksVair @ Hebert's on Saturday.

Jim Bengiovanni