BSCC- "Fact Finding Mission"

Ray & Kathy Bombardier bomma at comcast.net
Tue Mar 28 11:38:49 EST 2006

Hi everybody.....

        In regards to the upcoming weekend event on Long Island, June 3-4. I just wanted to give you our results of the "fact finding mission" to CT yesterday.  What a great day we had both weather-wise and productivity-wise.   Here we've been saying right along we'll take the ferry from Bridgeport and cross to Port Jefferson, Long Island.   Well after taking this 'dry run' on Monday with Peter Roca and Dick Daniels, the unanimous opinion was a no-brainer; we should sail from New London and cross to Orient Point, LI.   Several reasons for this decision which in no way says this is the way everyone will go.   Some may still want to cross from Bridgeport; still others may wish to forgo the ferry crossings and make the drive all the way around through NYC and on to LI that way.   Let me explain our observations from Monday's trip that led us to mutually agree we should cross from New London as there are pros and cons.

        Lets start with Bridgeport.   We met at my house and left shortly after 9:00AM.   Our first stop was in Sturbridge at the Cracker Barrel Restaurant for breakfast.   Peter was keeping a record of time and mileage involved.   We headed west on I-84 to Hartford then south on I91 headed to New Haven.  It was noted as we passed by the Meriden, CT rest area where we would make a "bathroom break" on the actual caravan day.   Next stop was the Bridgeport Ferry.   The first thing I noticed in Bridgeport was how poorly it was marked to exit I-95 for the ferry.   Next thing I knew we were in Fairfield and had missed the ferry exit. (This mistake alone made it a good reason for making the dry run so I wouldn't have done this with 10 cars following me.)   Besides poor exit markings for the Bridgeport Ferry, the type of maniacal drivers, heavy traffic and urbanized area in which I was driving put me ill at ease.   It's the cityscape, industrial, urban area of CT that I ran into around Wallingford CT on I-91 southbound into New Haven, where I-91 merges with I-95, all the way to Bridgeport and pretty much continues right into NYC.  The area in Bridgeport where the ferry terminal is located is very old and nasty looking, however the actual terminal itself was quite clean and the staff was pleasant and helpful.   Upon leaving the property, I couldn't wait to get back on I-95 northbound which involved a number of sharp rights and lefts with traffic lights where we would apt to become separated in a caravan.   The major concern I had that led me to suggest to Peter and Dick that we drive up to New London to check that LI ferry crossing terminal was a safety issue.   Like I said, this is a highly urbanized, high speed stretch of roadway.  I would fear for the safety of my fellow club members and families/guests if anyone experienced a mechanical breakdown or even a flat tire in this particular section.   I didn't have any problem myself but I was driving "Big Red", my trusty 12 year old Caddy.   I put myself in the position of the member who just takes his/her car out for leisurely drives.  This roadway would shell-shock them.  Let me make one point clear; there is nothing wrong with the Bridgeport/Port Clinton ferry itself.  In fact I might have taken it.   I'm thinking of the big picture here and the safety of my fellow members is the most important issue to me.

        Now here is what out observations were with the ferry terminal in New London.   As we headed north-east from Bridgeport through New Haven, I never felt really at ease driving until I got to Branford when we left the heavily urbanized area of CT and it became more scenic.   The weather couldn't have been nicer as we headed for New London.  Again as we approached New London I made one wrong judgment call and exited onto Frontage Road which included all local streets.   Just after making the exit onto Frontage Road we saw the sign on I-95 that the ferry terminal would have been the next highway exit.  When I was able to find a ramp back on to I-95, I was beyond the exit I wanted and there were no more exits before crossing over the "Twin Bridges" into Groton where we had to exit and reverse direction, back over the "Twin Bridges" where we find the southbound exit number for the Ferry differed from the northbound exit number.   We followed the signs into downtown New London which was much more pleasant than the seedy area in Bridgeport.   After another "missed" turn, (I was probably laughing at another Peter Roca story) we pull onto the New London/Orient Point Ferry Terminal.   Again, like in Bridgeport, the staff was pleasant and very helpful.

        Now that we had all our information we weighed our decisions.   With a map in hand, the lady in the Terminal information desk showed us where on Long Island each ferry docked.   Yes, the Bridgeport ferry docked considerably closer to our 1st day destination of Hicksville but the drive to that ferry was stressful and could be potentially dangerous if anyone broke down enroute.   The drive to New London is much shorter with NO stress and the members can arrive easily via I-95 to New London or from Exit 10 on the MA Pike, (Auburn) taking I-395 south to CT route 32 south directly to the ferry terminal.   The crossing costs are almost identical.   The crossing times leaving both terminals is on the hour.   The time to make the crossing is approx. 1 hour 15 minutes from Bridgeport and 1 hour 20 minutes from New London.   There will be roughly a 2+ hour drive from Orient Point, Long Island to the Econo-Lodge in Hicksville.   The choice is, according to the info lady, a drive through the beautiful wine area of the north coast of LI on secondary highway.   The only light traffic would be from the vehicles exiting the ferry, as Orient Point is at the tip of the northeast "fork" of the island, still not as far out as Montauk.   There are a number of restaurants there as well.  OR  We have the option driving down the CT coast to Bridgeport.

        My thoughts (for what they're worth) is that this is the first time most of us have ever been on Long Island, (and maybe their last.)    I'd like to get everyone there and home safely and come away from this weekend with fond memories.   I don't want them to be recalling the nasty drive down.  After all, this isn't a race to Hicksville on June 3rd; the car show isn't until Sunday morning, June 4th at the beautiful Old Westbury Gardens.  We may be driving about an hour longer overall to get there but it will be a slower paced, more scenic drive along the Long Island coast and relaxing and fun is what the theme of this weekend is all about.   For Peter, Dick and myself, the decision was a no-brainer!!

        I do have literature from both Terminals to pass out at the Wed. night meeting.   Like I said, the final decision is up to the individual but getting there quicker......why?    Slow down and enjoy the ride.

        We left the terminal in New London and within a minute I could have been on the ramp heading up I-95 towards RI and MA but I chose to head north on route 32 past the Coast Guard Academy for a few miles where route 32 blends onto I-395N that's a beautiful rural interstate that takes you directly to exit 10 on the MA Tpk. in Auburn.   We made one stop for a tasty, late lunch at "Zip's Diner" in Dayville, CT. and one last stop for fuel as the flashing "E" on the dash made me think I wouldn't make it the 2 more exits to my house in Milford.   I appreciate the input from my travel buddies, Peter and Dick and I feel we made a good, non-bias decision for both the safety and enjoyment of the members of the club who plan on joining in on this event.

        The reservations for the ferry for our group will be made on April 15th. (This was suggested by the info lady.)   We would like a firm commitment by that date if you plan on joining us on this weekend.   The Pre-reg forms for the LICA show on June 4th should be into John Wingle by that date as the club is paying for the Registrations for this show and john will make out 1 check from our club, mailing in all the Pre-Reg forms with it.  With a ferry reservation made, you have a guaranteed ticket.  Send no money now. You'll pay at the terminal office when you come in to pick up your ticket at your reserved departure time on June 3rd.  If you need a Pre-Reg application for the 6/4 car show, call me.

        That's about it.  We did our best.  If you have any further questions, please contact me.    Ray B.